- February 13, 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.AdShooter is an adware component that downloads and displays advertisements.
The presence of the files detected as Adware.AdShooter.
This adware program must be manually installed but can also be installed by a program with Adware.AdShooter within it.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version October 02, 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version March 23, 2017 revision 037
- Initial Daily Certified version December 29, 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version March 23, 2017 revision 041
- Initial Weekly Certified release date December 31, 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
SYSsfitb.exe is an adware-enabled program that will access a script on a certain Web page.
Adware.AdShooter also generates pop-up windows when you access certain Web pages.
- Adds the value:
to the registry key:
so that the Adware runs every time Windows starts.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.AdShooter.
- Delete the value from the registry.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program and run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.AdShooter, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file names. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start > Run.
- Type regedit
Then click OK.
- Navigate to the key:
- In the right pane, delete the value:
- Exit the Registry Editor.