Careful what you click. A growing number of cybercriminal organizations are using deceptive links and websites to install malicious software which can hold your Stuff for ransom. Infected machines display messages which demand payment in order to restore functionality. Recent attacks have also displayed images that impersonate law enforcement. Here's what Norton customers need to know:
- These attacks, sometimes known as "ransomware," deploy malicious software which can disable the functionality of your computer.
- To avoid getting infected, ensure your computer's software and anti-virus definitions are up-to-date, and avoid suspicious sites.
- If your machine is already infected, do not pay the ransom. Instead, follow these instructions.
- The risk of individual machines like yours being infected is very low.
- Norton updates your protection on a regular basis to protect against new types of ransomware.