Norton Safe Web feature: Website ratings
Websites may be easy to create, but not all are made the same with regard to their security.
Legitimate websites can be targeted by cybercriminals, older websites that are no longer managed may not be properly supported with good security, and some websites are built specifically to spread malware.
Norton Safe Web provides safety ratings of websites based on multiple criteria:
- Has the site been compromised and known to distribute malware?
- Is the site relatively new and yet showing the traits of suspicious activities (e.g., suspicious use of scripting languages or drive-by downloads)?
- Has the site ever been used to scam someone with fake products and services?
- Is the site potentially faking other brands or other reputable sites?
- Does the site redirect users to other potentially compromised websites?
If these types of things are true about a given site, Norton Safe Web will warn you before you visit, and you can decide whether or not to proceed to that site.
The website ratings also include an explanation of why the site is rated unsafe along with recommendations, so you then can make an informed decision when it comes to visiting websites.