- February 13, 2007
- Quadrogram, LLC
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.Quadro is an adware program that displays advertisements.
The files are detected as Adware.Quadro.
This adware program must be manually installed. However, there are several known programs that have Adware.Quadro within them and that install it as the program itself is installed.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version October 02, 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version March 23, 2017 revision 037
- Initial Daily Certified version September 29, 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version March 23, 2017 revision 041
- Initial Weekly Certified release date October 01, 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Adware.Quadro is an adware program that displays advertisements. The installer for this adware does not display any information on the screen. Instead, it relies on the program that installs it to display the End User License Agreement (EULA).
When the adware is executed, it performs the following actions:
- Makes several copies of an executable file as random file names in the %System% folder. These files are detected as Adware.Quadro.
Note: %System% is a variable. By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\Winnt\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP).
- Creates the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\<14 Random Characters>, and a number of values under that key.
- Adds a key with a random alpha-numeric name and a value of the path to one of the randomly named executable files in the %System% folder to the registry key:
so that the adware runs when you start Windows.
An example of such a key is:
"2JSEGGR35W9YJH" = "C:\WINNT\System32\RkmsYif2.exe"
Adware.Quadro is most often installed when you install other programs.
When running, this adware tracks your Web-browsing habits and sends this information to a central server. It periodically downloads advertisements and displays them. The downloaded advertisements are based on your browsing habits.
Note: Removing this adware component from the system will likely cause the program that installed it to not function as intended. The uninstaller generally identifies the programs that will not work after uninstallation.
- Update the definitions.
- Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.Quadro.
- Delete the values that were added to the registry. Restart the computer.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Restarting the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode
- For Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, or XP users, restart the computer in Safe mode. For instructions, refer to the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."
- For Windows NT 4 users, restart the computer in VGA mode.
3. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.Quadro, note the file names (you will need them for the next step), and then click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to the key:
- In the right pane, delete any values that mention file names detected as Adware.Quadro.
- Navigate to the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\<14 Random Characters>
and delete the key and all the values in it.
- Exit the Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.