How They Attack
Vulnerabilities are flaws in computer software that create weaknesses in the overall security of the computer or network. Vulnerabilities can also be created by improper computer or security configurations. Threats exploit the weaknesses of vulnerabilities resulting in potential damage to the computer or personal data.
How Do You Know
- Companies announce vulnerabilities as they are discovered and quickly work to fix the vulnerabilities with software and security "patches"
What To Do
- Keep software and security patches up to date
- Configure security settings for operating system, internet browser and security software
- Develop personal security policies for online behavior
- Install a proactive security solution like Norton Internet Security to block threats targeting vulnerabilities