The best ways to book online travel reservations more securely
Authored by a Symantec employee
Thanks to the Internet, booking travel online is simple. But it’s not necessarily always secure. As you make your summer vacation plans, remember to be cautious when making reservations online. The number of phony travel booking websites is growing because they’re so successful at scamming consumers. Learn what to do so you don’t end up in Scam City instead of your dream destination.
Safety for every device.
Security is no longer a one-machine affair. You need a security suite that helps protect all your devices – your Windows PC, Mac, Android smartphone or your iPad.
Fake travel reservation websites
According to estimates by the American Hotel & Lodging Association, approximately 15 million online hotel reservations are made on bogus third-party sites every year.1 These rogue websites trick people into thinking they’re reserving directly with their hotel of choice. Instead, the victims are making reservations on phony sites set up to steal their money, credit card information, and dreams of a relaxing overnight stay. With cybercriminals pocketing more than $1.3 billion in fake hotel reservations,1 consumers need to beware when booking hotel rooms and other travel reservations online — such as for airline flights and rental cars, too.
5 tips to avoid online reservation scams
- Go directly to the official website of the hotel, airline, or rental car agency to book your reservations. It should have “HTTPS” in the URL. If you’re not sure you’re on a real site, call the company to verify. Or try Norton Safe Web to find out if a website is safe, for free.
- If you decide to use a third-party site, choose a well-known and reputable brand.
- Get recommendations for trusted travel companies or sites from your network of friends and family. If you’re ever uncertain about whether a company is legitimate, check with the Better Business Bureau.
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card to book online. In case the website is phony, you won’t have given the cybercriminals direct access to your bank account. Many credit card companies offer fraud protection.
- After you make an online reservation, always call the company afterward to confirm. If there is no record of your reservation, it’s better to know sooner rather than later. You’ll be able to alert your credit card company, report the fraud, and still have time to book reservations with the real deal.
The ability to make travel reservations online saves a lot of time compared to more traditional methods, so be sure to use some of those minutes saved to take a few moments to make your online travel booking transactions more secure.
Don’t wait until a threat strikes.
Security threats and malware lurk on Windows PCs, Macs, and Android and iOS devices. If you use more than one device – like most of us do – you need an all-in-one security suite. Meet Norton Security Premium.
Enjoy peace of mind on every device you use with Norton Security Premium.
Symantec Corporation, the world’s leading cyber security company, allows organizations, governments, and people to secure their most important data wherever it lives. More than 50 million people and families rely on Symantec’s Norton and LifeLock comprehensive digital safety platform to help protect their personal information, devices, home networks, and identities.
© 2018 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved. Symantec, the Symantec Logo, the Checkmark Logo, Norton, Norton by Symantec, LifeLock, and the Lockman Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. Firefox is a trademark of Mozilla Foundation. Google Chrome is a trademark of Google, Inc. Mac, iPhone