Is it safe to download free ebooks online?
Authored by a Symantec employee
We at Norton appreciate the importance of books and the value they add to our lives. We understand the primary goal of reading is to know more and grow more. Whether it’s read in a traditional paperback, on a tablet, on a computer, or on a mobile device, all books should be easily available for all to enjoy.
Safety for every device.
Security is no longer a one-machine affair. You need a security suite that helps protect all your devices – your Windows PC, Mac, Android smartphone or your iPad.
As more and more people lean towards reading in a digital format, here are a few things to keep in mind when reading ebooks.
- Never download pirated ebooks. Always buy books and digital content from legitimate retailers.
- Unless it’s from a trusted retailer, some ebooks may contain malicious software that can install malware, spyware, and viruses in your computer.
- Do not distribute ebooks unless the company or author allows it. Distributing copyrighted material is piracy, a punishable offense.
- Some suspicious websites offer bestsellers for free. These websites may not look suspicious at first glance. But what they are doing is unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material. This pirated content might be called “free,” but it often comes with a price. Many of these .pdf, .epub, .zip and .exe files contain malware that could give your computer a virus, install spyware to monitor your web-surfing habits or place adware on your system.
- Always make sure you have reputable antivirus software like Norton Security in your device to catch those nasty viruses.
There are millions of ebooks you can download for free for your ebook reader, many of which are classics from the public domain: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Dracula by Bram Stoker, Shakespeare's works and many others. Great sites to get these classics include Gutenberg.org or Archive.org.
Some newer works are available for free, too, either from independent authors looking for publicity or known authors who agree to offer some of their older works temporarily free to help promote newer books.
Rule of thumb: If it sounds too good to be true, it is. If you can’t find the book for free on a site like Amazon, you probably shouldn’t be getting it anywhere else for free. So stick with reputable sites or your ebook reader's official store, and be sure to keep your antivirus software up to date.
Don’t wait until a threat strikes.
Security threats and malware lurk on Windows PCs, Macs, and Android and iOS devices. If you use more than one device – like most of us do – you need an all-in-one security suite. Meet Norton Security Premium.
Enjoy peace of mind on every device you use with Norton Security Premium.
Symantec Corporation, the world’s leading cyber security company, allows organizations, governments, and people to secure their most important data wherever it lives. More than 50 million people and families rely on Symantec’s Norton and LifeLock comprehensive digital safety platform to help protect their personal information, devices, home networks, and identities.
© 2018 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved. Symantec, the Symantec Logo, the Checkmark Logo, Norton, Norton by Symantec, LifeLock, and the Lockman Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. Firefox is a trademark of Mozilla Foundation. Google Chrome is a trademark of Google, Inc. Mac, iPhone