Authored by a Symantec employee
You might have heard that hackers can access your webcam. In the age of the Internet of Things, that’s a pretty scary notion. Not only will hackers be looking through the webcam on your computer, they will also be looking at your home security system and anything else you have hooked up to your network. Think about it -- how far are you from a camera right now? Just about everything has a camera on it these days. So how can you defend yourself from a webcam hacking?
- The most important thing you can do is install a full-service Internet security suite such as Norton Security on your device, and keep it updated regularly. With the right software and current malware definitions, this can do a lot of heavy lifting against all forms of malware, not just viruses.
- Keep your software up to date, as this helps patch vulnerabilities in your software that allow hackers access to your device.
- Your computer probably comes with a firewall, which will prevent unauthorized access to your computer. However, most firewalls need to be turned on. If you’ve never actively turned on your firewall, do that right now.
- Never click on suspicious links in emails or download files from people you don’t know. This is one of the most common ways that hackers gain access to your machine. Only download attachments and click on links in emails from people that you trust. Even then, if something looks suspicious call or text them.
- Don’t chat with strangers online. Often times, this is a way to get information out of you that can be used to access your accounts, or to get your trust so that you download a Trojan horse.
- Keep an eye on the indicator light on your laptop. If it starts coming on for no reason, that’s a good sign that your system has been compromised.
- Lock down your wireless network. Use a strong, unique password.
- It’s important to use a virtual private network for maximum security.
These steps are simple, common sense measures you can use to protect the privacy of your family.
Symantec Corporation, the world’s leading cyber security company, allows organizations, governments, and people to secure their most important data wherever it lives. More than 50 million people and families rely on Symantec’s Norton and LifeLock comprehensive digital safety platform to help protect their personal information, devices, home networks, and identities.
© 2018 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved. Symantec, the Symantec Logo, the Checkmark Logo, Norton, Norton by Symantec, LifeLock, and the Lockman Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. Firefox is a trademark of Mozilla Foundation. Google Chrome is a trademark of Google, Inc. Mac, iPhone